Did you know that besides the choice of laminate, should you choose a suitable pad for it? Usually it does not matter, although it is a very important element in the floor installation. It has many advantages and has some basic functions – it helps to smooth the flooring, slightly improves the R-value of the floor, sound insulation and softens the laminate panels. Generally, the pad is a thin, flexible, large sheet made of elastic material. The variety of the market is great, so choose the best solution according to your personal needs and preferences. Follow the instructions from the supplier from which you buy the laminate to avoid selecting a non-standard pad or installing it incorrectly.
What is the laminate flooring?
If you have already stopped laying a laminate, flooring, hardwood or other, you should know that it is made of boards. Most laminated surfaces today require foundation. There are also manufacturers that offer a laminate with an attached pad, but this is a special feature that is not very common.
The pad is a niche product produced specifically for laminate application. It is not appropriate to be confused with plywood, which is sometimes placed under a different kind of flooring. This middle layer has to be applied between the floor and the laminate, because it only clicks and does not stick or pinch.
The sheet of corresponding thickness is placed between them to improve and protect the pavement. It plays the role of a “pillow” on which the laminate fits. Most often it is made of polyethylene or polypropylene. To avoid worrying about choosing an error, select a pad from where you buy the laminate. The other option is to consult and be familiar with the exact requirements for your species.
Thickness of the pad is important because it contributes to better insulation and softness. The pad and the laminate are interconnected but not interchangeable. Be careful with the subsequent installation because you could ignore the warranty. Moreover, the main factor is the durability and efficiency of the flooring in the future.
Main advantages of the laminate flooring
Definitely in most cases it is necessary to place a pad. It has many advantages and benefits for the qualitative installation of your new floor and longer durability in the future:
Laminate can be found in many varieties and closely resembles the appearance of the tree, but the quality is radically different. Laminate parquet is thin – no thickness and density. That is why it is necessary to add an additional element to the installation – pad. Just the thickness and density contribute to the sound insulation, so choose a better quality pad for your parquet
It serves to correct the imperfections of the base
A miracle would be if your floor is perfectly straight, without any remarks on it. In most cases, small nails, splinters, holes, and others are visible. This is almost certain if you do a repair, and you have already removed some other existing flooring. If you put wood, it could handle the small drawbacks, but the thin layer of laminate requires a backing. This will help with the quality of the installation
Protects against moisture
Humidity is something that everybody wants to escape. There is no pavement that tolerates moisture, even though it is designed and designed to handle the problem more easily. Sometimes it is inevitable, and preventive action is needed. In this case, you need a moisture-proof pad to protect your floor from inflating and worsening its appearance
It serves to soften the base
The additional seal and the softness of the laminate are possible to achieve by placing a pad. Obviously choose a suitable one if your base is concrete, brick or other hard surface. Keep in mind that the benefit and good softening result will be certain. Designed to have a softening ability
Besides the mandatory use of a pad, there are times when you will not need it. This is the only case in which you do not have to spend extra money:
With a pre-attached substrate
The innovation in the production of laminate flooring is directed to an increasing share of designed floorboards with an attached mat. If you choose this model, there is no need for extra. Trends are such that this type of projection increases with each passing year.
How to choose a laminate flooring?
According to the base
- Concrete – a substrate that has a vapor-proofing function is needed. It will help prevent the penetration of moisture, which is a major problem for the floor. Better bet on a safer foundation to make sure that the moisture will not hurt the pavement you put
- Plywood – no moisture-retaining mat will have to be used because plywood is a natural material. The purpose of this type of flooring is to breathe. Laying of vapor-proofing can help prevent mildew and mold formation
- Noise Reduction – Sound insulation is very important for home and office comfort. Who, if not you, can create it for you? There are specially designed pads that play the role of a barrier in louder sounds. So, your bedroom or office will always be quiet and calm
- R-value – These parameters affect the warmer or colder environment under your feet, especially in the winter. The higher the value of the pad, the less heat it allows to move through it, while the lower R-value is the smaller insulation
- Antimicrobial benefits – this is an ideal option for people with asthmatic problems because some pads have such antimicrobial properties. This means that after the installation you will live in a guaranteed healthy environment
Types of laminate flooring
- Standard foam pad – this is the most basic and popular model. It is often used when the laminate is placed on plywood. It plays the link between the base and the laminate, but is not renowned for its high quality. It can not provide a barrier to moisture penetration, so you have to move on to another solution if it is a wet or wet room such as bathrooms and basements
- Combination of foam pad – This kind of pad has a slightly higher price. Suitable for both plywood and concrete. It is a good combination of foam with an insulating effect that is applied to each pad. Will help to prevent moisture and noise
- Cork Cork – The cork is of the highest quality and price of all the above suggestions. It may cost you as much as half the laminate, but it’s worth it. The beneficial properties in the workmanship are expressed in the antimicrobial functions, it helps to flatten the irregularities on the main surfaces and reduces the noise
- Laminated parquet with a pad included – today manufacturers think of the convenience of consumers. The masters who are trying to perform the assembly themselves will notice the embedded pad under the board. The good news is that you will not have to look for a suitable pad and have doubts about making the right choice. This type of material can be placed directly on the substrate or on a vapor barrier sealant